But what about those people you know who seem to have it all? They’re happy. Their cards didn’t just magically fall into place. Those people recognize that life is to live, not to exist; and to get the life they wanted, they chose not to make a living, but to design their life. It sounds so easy–design my life.
It is. And it isn’t. Everyone has the ability to write his or her own story. The people who do so successfully know a few secrets:
- What’s good in your life?
- What in your life could be improved?
- About what are you most passionate?
- What do you want to achieve?
- Where do you want to achieve it?
- Who can help you?
- What kind of impact do you wish to make?
Once you’ve established what is most important to you, define your goals. Remember, goals are not what you’ve already accomplished or what you have. They are what you want.
When you are defining your goals, be sure they are realistic and attainable. That doesn’t mean you can’t dream big; but if you’re goal is to complete a triathlon and you are afraid to swim, you may need to rethink a few things. Also, be very specific when you set your goals. There is no place for ambiguity in this arena. When you are thoughtful and precise, you are more likely to succeed.
Don’t just define your goals; write them down. That’s so important, I’m going to say it twice. Write your goals and your strategy for achieving each one in your journal, a notebook or on your computer. Writing them down takes them from the abstract and makes them concrete.
As part of your strategy to achieve your goals, set a timeline. The best thing about a goal is that there is a deadline for when it should be accomplished.
In some instances, you may need to break down the goal into smaller increments in order to finish. Just keep working, no matter how small, so you don’t get behind schedule.
- First, no man is an island. You may need help along the way. Who better to ask then a person who supports you?
- Second, it makes you accountable. Tell your friends and family about your plans. If no one knows about your goal, will it actually come to fruition? Most likely not. A goal is only as powerful as your accountability.
Finally, don’t give up. One of the most important aspects of designing your own life is belief. The belief that you are capable of writing your own story; the belief that you deserve to achieve your dreams; and the belief that you will put in the work to do so. Whatever your situation, there is a way to make it better. You just have to work toward it.